Assists with the training of medical assistant. Responsible for providing professional nursing care for clinic patients under supervision of the Physician or Advanced Practice Practitioner (APP). Assists Physician or APP and staff in coordinating patient care. Functions as primary liaison between patients, staff and Physician or APP.
- Assists with the training of medical assistants and offers support to some technicians and office administrators.
- Provides mentoring, monitoring, and coaching.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules & organizing patient flow.
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment.
- Takes patient histories and vital signs.
- Performs blood draws and specimen handling.
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary supplies, materials, and instruments.
- Gives injections, and applies casts, splints, and dressings, as applicable.
- Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization.
- Assists physicians in preparing for minor surgeries and physicals.
- Assists with scheduling of tests and treatments.
- Screens telephone calls for referral to physician.
- Provides general information on departmental policies and procedures.
- Notifies the Practice Manager when clinical and office supplies need replenishing.
- Assists in maintaining patient files, records, and other information to contribute to accurate data gathering.
- Compiles and condenses technical and statistical data for reports and records.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Practice and adhere to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement.”
- Ensures proper patient identification, order verification, and prepares patients for exams.
- Provides diagnostic imaging within scope when ordered by medical provider.
- Monitors patients during exams.
- Adjusts immobilization devices, moves equipment into specified position, adjusts equipment control to set exposure factors.
- Reports and documents important information to the physician.
- Quickly prioritizes tasks in a changing environment.
- Maintains a clean, neat, and safe environment for patients and staff. Ensures that supplies and equipment are stored in an organized and efficient manner.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; participating in professional societies.
- Conserves compliance with the governmental protocols and ensuring the safety of patients and employees by using protective instruments and exercising safety measures.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: A high school diploma or GED is required. Graduation from a recognized training facility for medical assistants is required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum five (3) year of experience in a physician practice is preferred.
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE: CPR certification preferred; MA certification required; General Medical Radiology Technician (GMRT), Limited Medical Radiology Technician (LMRT), or Non-Registered Technician (NCT) Utah License is preferred.
QUALIFICATIONS: Become GMRT, LMRT, NCT certified within a year of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES: The jobholder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to the job position.
- Knowledge of medical practice and care to assist in giving patient care.
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Skill in assisting in a variety of treatments and medications as directed.
- Skill in taking vital signs.
- Skill in maintaining records and recording test results.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.