Responsible for providing professional nursing care for clinic patients under supervision of the Physician or Advanced Practice Practitioner (APP). Assists Physician or APP and staff in coordinating patient care. Functions as primary liaison between patients, staff and Physician or APP.
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules & organizing patient flow.
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment.
- Takes patient histories and vital signs.
- Performs blood draws and specimen handling.
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary supplies, materials, and instruments.
- Gives injections, and applies casts, splints, and dressings, as applicable.
- Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization.
- Assists physicians in preparing for minor surgeries and physicals.
- Assists with scheduling of tests and treatments.
- Screens telephone calls for referral to physician.
- Provides general information on departmental policies and procedures.
- Notifies the Clinical Supervisor or Office Manager when clinical and office supplies need replenishing.
- Assist in maintaining patient files, records, and other information to contribute to accurate data gathering.
- Compiles and condenses technical and statistical data for reports and records.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Practice and adhere to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement.”
- Performs related work as required.
EDUCATION: A high school diploma or GED is required. Graduation from a recognized training facility for medical assistants is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum one (1) year of experience in a physician practice is preferred.
CERIFICATE/LICENSE: CPR certification preferred, MA certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES: The jobholder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to the job position.
- Knowledge of medical practice and care to assist in giving patient care.
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Skill in assisting in a variety of treatments and medications as directed.
- Skill in taking vital signs.
- Skill in maintaining records and recording test results.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.